TTOTA is a small but committed group of therapists who are passionate about advancing the profession locally and in the region. At present there are only 3 O.T.’s working in government-funded jobs, the other few are working privately. This is why we need more O.T.’s in T&T, to reform the face of health care and to provide a 21st century, quality service to every individual who requires health or social care. Proper delivery of quality health care cannot be achieved with such few O.T.’s in Trinidad and Tobago.
Occupational Therapists provide skilled treatment that help individuals of all ages achieve and maintain the lifestyles they aspire to and engage in occupations of their choice. What examples are there of people who benefit from O.T.?
- Work-related injuries including lower back problems or repetitive stress injuries
- Limitations following a stroke or heart attack
- Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, or other serious chronic condition
- Birth injuries, learning and behavioural problems, or developmental disabilities
- Mental Health problems, including Alzheimer’s disease, Schizophrenia, and post traumatic stress
- Substance misuse and eating disorders
- Burns, Spinal Cord injuries, or amputations
- Broken bones or other injuries from falls, sports injuries or accidents